Mga Pahina

Martes, Abril 7, 2015

Stepping Out of the Funny Zone

People will never see me as smart. They will always see me as funny, friendly, entertaining... adjectives on this side only. I have gone through a lot of team building activities where the facilitator asks everyone to tape a paper on their back and ask everyone to write an impression of each person- I have never gotten smart among those descriptions but funny and entertaining always made an appearance.

Even in conferences that I have attended, they will always ask me to do the hosting when things go boring and not when things go intellectual. More often than not I do the ice breakers than deliver the meat of the conference. If I will ask some of my classmates before or my colleagues from my past jobs, I might get the same answer as those derived from the "paper on the back" activity. I am afraid to do that and will just settle to this delusion that somehow a small fraction of those who know me find me witty together with being funny and friendly.

I have struggled with this when I have tried to teach at a tertiary institution. I was not confident whether the students will view me as a credible teacher or just a comical one. Will the two never point to the same direction? I have often heard that comics are witty people but with how I think people perceive me, I do not find consolation in that popular belief.

I long for the day when I can be regarded as a credible expert on things. That when I share what I know, people will not wait for the punchline thinking that it was some kind of a joke in the making. I have often blamed the way I carry myself with how I am perceived but I cannot change it- it is who I am. Self-expression really comes at a cost but maybe someday things will fall to place. 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento