Mga Pahina

Miyerkules, Mayo 27, 2015

Minsan sa May Kalayaan


I remember how ten years ago in the summer of 2005, me and my sister set foot in UP Diliman for the enrollment- her for her last year in the university and me as a clueless freshman. I am not sure if I was the only freshman with no parents in tow- just a sister who was also busy collecting her class cards in preparation for her enrollment. Excitement overpowered that fear of entering the university for I have heard a lot of inspiring stories from my sister. How students go to class with the clothes they wore last night, with how cheap the things are, with the type of exams, with the brilliance of the other students and with the beauty of living inside a dorm.

Indeed the university dorm life made my stay in the university bearable and fun. I have acquired friends who remain to be my friends to this day and some inspiring acquaintances who are nice to run into now that we are in the corporate world. Living in a dorm offered an opportunity for a balance of the pressures of the academics and the demands of the soul for social interaction. I will never regret living in a dorm all my college years.

A month ago I attended a launch of a program aiming at raising funds for the rehabilitation of the dorms. I met a lot of old faces at the event- some of those remember me and maybe more cannot. But who cares, it is still extremely inspiring to look at these people and see how far they have gone in life. Although it saddens me not see some of my residents when I had a brief stint as a Resident Assistant at the Kalayan Residence Hall, looking at all these familliar faces and spaces is more than enough. I cannot ask more for I have seen my sweet college professor, my former dorm managers, my sisters in crime and have even visited my old rooms.

I know a lot of successful people (including my room mates hahahahha) who have stayed at the dorms in UP. I hope and pray they will help the university in preserving these structures that served as a home during our college days and now a memorial of those memories that have lead us to where we are now.





photo from http://upd.edu.ph/~updinfo/apr15/articles/balikUPDormGallery.html
photo from http://upd.edu.ph/~updinfo/apr15/articles/balikUPDormGallery.html

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento