Mga Pahina

Lunes, Mayo 16, 2016

Out of the Shadows

The dust has settled and now we see those victors brandishing their trophies and to those unfortunate left to lick their wounds. But who ever said that losing cannot be done fashionably? That is why I love gays, most of them see optimism even when the times are bleakest.

I admire the audacity of a person for attempting a public office at our place where gays are moderately accepted. We are a minority in a minority. The attempt to have an LGBT representation in the local legislation  is truly commendable.

Never mind that this person eventually lost to more popular candidates. It is still a success for he paved the way of possibilities. I hope this will serve as inspiration for the others to also attempt and step out of the convention that gays belong to the parlor. Despite over performing in the fields that they choose, gays in the locality are confined to the age-old belief that they can go no further than the parlor.

I have had these conversations with some people from my locality who dismiss my sentiment of  LGBT marginalization as a mere display of my pessimism. I think my fellow LGBT's would agree that we are not feeling that "acceptance" that you attempt to show. I am positive that we are not oppressing ourselves.

I am hopeful that this person will still pursue on the next elections. That way, we normalize the presence of capable LGBT's in the local deciding body. Let us start in our families and in our localities for these are the building blocks of the society.

During this election, I just stood in the side lines. I have almost given up. But we do not come across courageous gays all the time. Next time I will stand by him and so should the others.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento