Mga Pahina

Martes, Setyembre 3, 2013

Twilight Zone

I can not recall how many posts on Facebook have I placed my comment voicing out my stand on the recent bombings in my hometown. For me, it is wrong to place the blame solely on one side. Whether it was the military or the other side that instigated the violence, the final question is who are the real victims. Ironic that both sides claim to be fighting for the people yet they are breaking this very same claim when they clashed in plain view of some of the northern barangays. I believe no amount of money can be equated to quantify the fear, the terror, and the restlessness  of the people from these communities.

The incident further pushes me to doubt the Indigenous Peoples Rights Act. The IPRA defines the ancestral domain and empowers the IP to manage it. In the security sphere, the idea of a peace zone is indeed a good way to evade violence. This is a classic example of learning from the past. The once mighty Igorots with the lineage of  headhunters opted to choose the peaceful way. The choice is guided by the wisdom of the past. If the IPs are the rightful owners of the land, then why can't they demand both sides to relocate their conflict elsewhere? But of course that is the ideal scenario that will hardly come true.

It is just so sad that the community gets what it does not deserve. When elements of both sides visit the communities, the people are always warm and they welcome them. We treat them as visitors so is it right to expose the community to such violence? I think it is a bit unfair. There may be no physical wounds but the social and psychological cracks will take years to heal.

God bless us all.
 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento